Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


St. Patrick's Day...one of my favorite holidays. Growing up it was always a big deal in the Winkle household! My mom's grandparents are off the boat Irish so it was always a big dinner with Corned Beef and cabbage (one of my favorite meals), homemade Irish Soda Bread (which I made this year) and Colcannon. My mom would start blaring the Celtic music starting right after Valentine's Day.

I hear that true Irishmen (and women) don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day, which really is the feast day of Saint Patrick. Corned Beef and cabbage is American and really only a small amount of people are of Irish descent even though practically everyone claims to be. Well I don't care, I'm drawn to it. I love it all. I love the green, I love the shamrocks, I love the music, I love the history, I love the food and I love the beer! So to all of you...a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments: